Visitors

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

New sales info sheds light.


With the new addition of a sales history to the Horse Info Page, I have been able to revisit the purchases I've made over the past few years. I must say that I was quite shocked at the amount of cash I've spent. In many cases, it appears I have not recouped my initial investment yet.

Many of the purchase are longer term investments. My eventual total return will include stud fees (in the case of Big Easy) and sturdy talented foals (in the case of Affirm Gal). I'm still happy with every one of these acquisitions and I anticipate that most of them will pan out in the long run.
  • Affirm Gal $601,000 - I bought her as a broodmare replacement for Shadowcat. She has raced pretty well, but will never pay back the investment in race purses.
  • Big Easy $667,777 - I got one decent season out of Big Easy. He earned over $300,000 in his only season racing at Otsego. He was purchased as a future stud. He has a very nice AR and was one of the top milers of his era, so I expect good things as a breeder.
  • Big Slick $300,000 - In fact, the cost was $300k plus a free War Machine breeding, so my actual cost was $600k. He's earned $212k so far and is starting to mature. He should pay his way.
  • Candle of Life $350,000 - I like this horse and was feeling charitable to a new stable. Has not come close to covering his cost yet, but he has some talent and will have a long career, so who knows?
  • Chancellorsville $200,000 - A son of Nightwing, need I say more? Nice AR. No success yet, but I have faith.
  • Confederation $400,000 - This is a very good horse that I thought was a steal at $400k. He has earned over $200k this year so far.
  • King of the Sea $401,000 - Another solid performer. King's earnings have surpassed his purchase price. I'll probably be selling him later in the season. There is an outside chance that he'll race another year.
  • Majestic Song $20,000 - Love this deal. He has ability and endurance. Earned $12,500 in his first Otsego race. He'll earn back that $20k many times.
  • Seven Memory $250,000 - Memcay x Deja Vu product has talent, but has been maddeningly inconsistent. Skating on thin ice.
  • Stowaway $310,000 - This one will pan out. Generally posts PSR's above 100. We are expecting bigger things.
  • True Ensign $300,000 - Eureka did me a favor by selling this fellow at this price. Very talented and worth every penny. Will race for a couple seasons at Otsego, then off as a stallion, probably back to Eureka.
I'm always on the lookout for veteran racers with a little gas left in the tank, or immature horses that have reached the end of the line at their current stable. If you have a prospect for me, my email is mvpcandidate@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Check out the price of Dancing Delaware vs her race earnings ;)