Visitors

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Breeders Cup Excitement and Disappointment

Otsego Farms came away with just one BC victory with Refractor putting away the field in the 16F Endurance.

"After I made several comments about Refractor being the top 2-miler in Photo-Finish, former stable owner Mike Noble stated that the Sunshine Stables stayer Pluto would shadow Refractor until the two met again", Otsego owner Jim Webber said after the race.  "He didn't have to wait long, did he?"

With the large field, and his come-from-behind style, Refractor struggled to find running room for most of the race.  But, with 3 furlongs to go, things finally opened up, and he was able to stretch out, pass the leaders and win in relatively easy fashion.

The other Breeders Cup entries did not go as well for Otsego Farms.  Webber had stated, in a tongue-in-cheek manner, that he would sweep the four races he entered.  Things did not go as planned.

"You Know My Name simply looked outclassed and had nothing at the end", Webber explained with a shrug.  "I honestly think that both Methy Bus and Kayson would have won their races, but both had terrible trips.  Kayson in particular was horrifically blocked by Medusa's Blood and had no possible hope of recovery.  This is the risk you take when you sign up for a big field."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice win Jim. Can't think of anyone else I would want to come in 1 and 2 with. (I'll get ya next time)

Holli - Sunshine

chiknsmack said...

Sorry Jim. I saw him going backwards on the webcam during the Skypecast and hoped he stayed out of everyone's way. Shame he didn't.

Jim Webber said...

No problem Smack. Shit happens. As a rule I always try to avoid races with more than 12 racers, but you got no choice sometimes. I was very surprised that it was Medusa's Blood who faded so badly.

Jim Webber said...

Thanks Holli! Pluto is formidable; very happy to beat a horse of his calibre.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing Refractor can run that good on such short rest. Especially since he was in France a couple weeks before. He must travel well!!

Jim Webber said...

1) I dislike Anonymous responses, especially when I detect sarcasm. If you have something to say, tell me who you are.

2) His rest wasn't exactly short; 24 days is more than many people give.

3) I have been a MAJOR proponent of travel restrictions for quite some time. If we had rules in place that would have prohibited the schedule he ran, I would have skipped the race in France. Since the current rules allow it, why not? Am I supposed to be the ONLY one who adheres to reality?

Anonymous said...

Gotcha Weaver....