Visitors

Friday, March 18, 2011

How much is a horse worth? Chapter Two.

As I mentioned previously, a horse has different value to different people.  But for the life of me, I can't see how Imperiosso is currently worth $5,510,000.  It just doesn't compute.

He is for sale and the current leader at auction is Glenmore Park with a bid of $5.5M.

Imperiosso has won $6.4M so far in his career.  However, the lions share of it came from a single win; an admittedly impressive World Cup victory at Dubai.  In my opinion though, he probably won't win another $1M in the remainder of his career, which will probably be brief and/or relatively unsuccessful (at least at GR1 levels) since his AR states he will have a very short peak time.

Perhaps Glenmore is thinking that there is money to be made as a stud?  Maybe, but the truth is, you're never gonna get rich owning a stud.  There are just too many inexpensive options out there.  Heck, if you've got a stud I can use in return, you can have a War Machine or Union Jack spot for free. 

So, I'm confused.  Can someone explain to me why this horse is worth $5.5M?

2 comments:

chiknsmack said...

I sold Priceless Revenge last week for $1. Both are sons of Revenge, both have earned about $6m, both ran 4th in Kentucky derbies, both ran 3rd in BC Classics and both are past their prime (though Imperiosso is a bit closer to his).

Only one person wanted PRev at the year-end auction last year after a pretty nice season. After a poor season this year I'd assume he's worth even less. He's standing with Zoe this breeding season for free.

Imperiosso has a bit more value than PRev, but he's not worth millions (IMO). No idea what Bruce (and whoever's bidding against him) see in the horse.

Anonymous said...

I dont think hes worth more than a poke in the eye let alone $5.5M

I cant see him making alot of money if he continues to race , i also cant see him fetching alot of money for stud fees .. Waste of money if u ask me id pay maybe 50c for him cause thats about all hes worth



Foxie