Visitors

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Did you get the memo that mediocrity will not be tolerated?


I used to breed sparingly. One or two foals a year. That was it.

I guess I was too impatient to commit to breeding. I didn't want to wait the 2 or more seasons it takes to get a horse to the track. So, I dabbled a bit in breeding and simply bought ready-to-race horses to fill my string.

Sometime in the midst of my 10 seasons I've found that breeding is much more fulfilling. And, as a result, I'm committing to it wholeheartedly.

It's more fulfilling in two ways. First, it is intrinsically more satisfying to have a successful horse if you've bred it yourself. I think everyone will agree with that. Second, it's hard to buy good, unraced young horses. Sometimes you get lucky and find a Heat Seeker or a War Machine, but most of the time breeders keep the top prospects and sell the rest, often after the horse has demonstrated their mediocrity in a handful of races.

So, my new business plan will be to breed at least 10 new foals a year, utilizing War Machine as the primary stud. Nightwing and Union Jack will contribute to a somewhat lesser degree. Top-quality guest studs will fill in as necessary. This year, Jenny's My Gal and Run Missy Run will be employed. Also, former Otsego standout Doomsday will be used.

Because I have just 45 stalls at the moment, and have decided that 50 will be the upper limit of my size, I will not be able to carry much in the way of veteran racers. So, the second part of my new business plan will be to utilize what I refer to as "The Foxie Rule".

This means that sometime late in the 2yo season and certainly by the mid-point of the 3yo season, I'll be selling off the horses that do not show very significant ability. Simple math will demand this strict stable culling.

Assume 50 stalls.
10 foals
10 yearlings
10 2yos
10 broodmares
3 studs

That leaves 7 horses at ages of three or older. Obviously tough decisions will have to be made and they will be. Because going forward, only excellence will be acceptable.

3 comments:

Crista said...

Thats the way I've been doing it Jim. Narsil, my first millionare home bred stud, I am very proud of. :D I love the breeding. The culling is the hardest part.

Anonymous said...

I think I tried to tell you that too. Keeping W.M. exclusive or limited to 5 a year doesn't help his chances of producing a superstar.
Just don't breed too many to Nightwing cuz I need one! Possibly UJ also. Thats 3 STRONG studs there Jim..
Noble

Jim Webber said...

I'm on board with your system now Crista!

Nightwing and Union Jack have plenty of room at the moment Mike. Should be no problem if you need one or both...