Visitors

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Live long and prosper Titanium. Just not here.

I bought her based on her breeding.  I'm a big fan of sire Dubai Gold, and dam Dulcinea was very respectable herself.  My gut told me Titanium could be worthwhile, plus I liked the name.  Sucker!

I stretched out a bit and paid $750,000.  That figure ranks, I believe, as the second highest purchase price I have ever paid.  Therefore, it also ranks as one of the biggest busts in Otsego Farms history.

This purchasing debacle was one of the reasons I decided to quit buying foals at auction and start breeding my own.  I figure I can save a million bucks a year by refusing to buy over-produced, over-priced foals that the original owner didn't even want, and simply make my own.

So, lesson learned.  If I can buy an unraced foal that I like for a reasonable price, say under $50,000, I might partake occasionally, but for the most part, I'm out.

Who knows?  This filly still might have some potential for the right owner.  She'll hit the sales page in the next day or so.  Contact me if you have any interest and I'll have her beamed right over.

5 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Cant be worse than when I bought TURF MONSTER....

Jim Webber said...

That was a bad one, no doubt about that Amanda.

Crista said...

There's one born every minute. bwhahaha. ;-) Ive sold many a foals that had potential, she was one of them, I am very surprised she has done zilch on track. I liked her alot.

Jim Webber said...

Yeah, I liked her too. But, it's all about what happens on the track and she just has not produced for me. I can't afford $750k mistakes anymore either...

Jim Webber said...

Looks like she might be coming back for another look. The auction ends in a couple hours and the palty reserve hasn't been met.