Visitors

Friday, March 19, 2010

Two to debut. How will they do? Haven't a clue.

Would it help if I knelt in a pew?

Filly House of M (War Machine x Classical Music) and colt Crossbones (Nightwing x In Spirit) will both make their racing debut's this weekend.

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement.  Even though I have paid close attention to all of my breeding matchups, I really have had minimal success over the years.  And, with my stable being somewhat non-competitive at the moment, my hopes hinge mightily on the youngsters who are coming up this year and next.

Nebula (Dubai Gold x Nova) had a decent start with a 3rd place at the William Tell Stakes a couple weekends ago, so that is encouraging.

We feel House of M has the tools to be very good, and her resemblance to War Machine is striking, making her a sentimental favorite.  However, her dam Classical Music has had little success as a broodmare.  In fact, two of her recent current prodigy,  Beethoven and Freedom, can only be described as very poor racers.  Hopefully, M can break that trend.  She'll run in a 12-horse field; 5 furlongs on her preferred surface of dirt.

Crossbones may have the genetic potential to succeed.  His dam has only a single offspring racing, Majestic Spirit, but the 3yo filly has impressed early with a record of 10-3-2-1 and earnings over $400,000.  He'll run in a 9-horse field over 5 furlongs on dirt.

So this weekend will determine, in a large way, whether the season will be a building block for the future, or simply a stepping stone until next year.

9 comments:

Jim Webber said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Odds are that you're right, but one can always hope...

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Jim. I hope they run well for ya

Hoosier Daddy said...

Oh and I like the new Blog page

Jim Webber said...

Thanks on both counts.

The 2yo debut's went rather poorly.

Crossbones went right to the back of the pack and didn't show too much. House of M had a poor trip traffic-wise. She was boxed in most of the race and blocked a bit at the end. She at least looks promising though.

Anonymous said...

Both suck! Quit getting your expectations up.

Anonymous said...

i think its time for a new game plan as what you have been doing isnt working at all. buy horses based on breeding not name for a start.

Jim Webber said...

LOL. Well, it's true that I have to like the name before I buy a horse, but I do look at other factors as well.

My problem was not getting into breeding quickly enough. I went for several years just breeding a couple horses per year. That was a mistake.

This is a numbers game. Breed enough with decent pairings and eventually you'll hit paydirt. I've got 10 coming up next season, and 11 the year after. It'll be like that every year going forward.

By the way, did I ever mention how much I dislike anonymous comments?

Anonymous said...

no you didnt mention that you dislike anonymous comments but thats the nayure of the beast have to take the good with the bad

signed; THE BLOG PHANTOM

Jim Webber said...

Oh, I don't mind the bad Phantom. I just prefer that people own the comments they make. I always welcome the comments though, good or bad.