Visitors

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Evidently, I'm a bargain hunter...


I wasn't in the market for a horse.  Especially a non-racer.  But I just can't resist a bargain.

I was a big fan of Olmo Dorato's Beamington when he was a racer but haven't managed to get a piece of him yet.  In Glenmore's recent yearling and foal sale, I spotted Sun Dial, a 1yo filly by Beamington out of Pembertons Sign and was mildly intrigued.

She wasn't attracting much attention, probably because the breeding match with Pembertons Sign wasn't all that good.  The dam didn't have much ability over 4.5 furlongs and Beamington was a classic-type racer.  Not a pairing I would have arranged, but you never know.  At least PS had some speed at the shorter distances and if the pieces arranged themselves right, maybe Sun Dial got mommy's speed and daddy's stamina.  The AR does say she likes a lot of distance so we're halfway home right there.  One can always hope.

The clincher though was the sales price of $8000.  At that rock-bottom cost, I figured I could afford to gamble.

So, Sun Dial will be in the stall right between Samurai Jack and Tomyris and training starts as soon as she arrives.  We'll see...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see what u mean about the mare she pretty well much sucked ... I would of paid $8,000 its a very cheap risk .. U never know it could of hit the right numbers in the right spots ... Nice steal Sir Jim ;)


Foxie