Visitors

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Breeding is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

While I was lamenting my downward turning fortunes a couple of seasons ago, my friend Steven of Golden Acres suggested that I start breeding more foals.  "It's the only way you can get and stay successful", he said.

I was very lucky early in my career.  I bought Nightwing and Predator in my first season and watched them ring up almost $9M in earnings.  Then a couple seasons later, War Machine ran amok and added $12M to the bank account.  Union Jack then came along and chipped in another $6M.

I didn't give breeding much thought at the time.  Why bother?  I was raking in the dough easy enough and I didn't need to house broodmares and stallions or wait 2 years for the foals to begin racing.

Then my luck ran out.  My string of successful horses petered out and I had no breeding infrastructure in place to reestablish my stock.

I tried to buy some veteran racers who were a little past their prime, and had some success with the likes of Big Easy, Petenwell, and Confederation.  But that strategy eventually proved to be a dead end.  Buying castoff youngsters always seemed to end disastrously.

With my resources flagging and my patience ebbing, I got the sage advice from Steven.

So, I spent some cash and got a few mares.  Virtually every one handpicked for specific attributes.  Now, I am producing 8-10 foals every year and I'm seeing positive results that I feel will put Otsego Farms back on the map.  A couple that I have coming up that I'm particularly excited about are Juggernaut and French Twist (click for AR's).

Cya at the track!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha i remember telling u a long time ago to breed as many as u can aswell and yes u are having a good start to the season (better than mine)

P.S. when u click on the horses names it just goes to a blank page



Foxie

Jim Webber said...

Hmmm. When I click on them I see the AR's.

Yeah I remember you also telling me that Foxie.