Visitors

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

It's not rocket science...

Newton, Archimedes, Euclid, Pythagoras, Webber.  Which name does not belong in this list?

The math is actually pretty easy.  But, it seems that I get myself into a stall squeeze every year.  I've got a couple spare stalls right now.  However, breeding at the end of the season will definitely present a problem.

I've got nine broodmares which will mean nine foals.  Are you with me so far?  I've got two stalls.  So I'd have a 7 stall deficit if the season were to end right now.  Not good.  My recent purchase of the 1yo filly Sun Dial looks decidedly stupid at the moment.

I actually knew this situation was arising.  I mentioned in the blog a long time ago that I'd have to make tough, abrupt decisions concerning my equine assets.  I simply can't afford to hang onto the early maturing types that don't quickly show some ability.

The bottom line is that between now and the end of the season, I have to divest myself of 7 horses.  Shatterstar will probably have to be one of them, even though I really like the horse.  Perhaps one broodmare will be shipped out.  Recent acquisition Sun Dial may have to be sacrificed.  The rest will be determined as the season progresses. 

I need to figure out the optimum numbers of stalls/mares/racers so that my string will self-perpetuate without all the drama every year.  Where is my slide rule?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why dont u just buy some extra stalls with PF $$$$

I get myself into the same trouble every season i over breed and then i have to scramble to get rid of horses

This season i already need 20 extra stalls for my foals that im breeding


Foxie

Jim Webber said...

Because I am at 50 stalls and I really don't want to get any bigger. I was gonna stop at 25 stalls, then 30, 35...and so on. I feel that 50 is plenty and that is where I'm gonna draw the line size-wise.