Visitors

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Concerns arise as 2020 season looms

The 2019 season has been very successful.  Especially gratifying was the emergence of a very strong crop of 3yo racers.  As the season wanes however, it is becoming increasingly apparent that my current batch of 2yo's will be found wanting.

I have managed just a single win out of the group.  The colt Hella Good (War Machine x On The Prowl) won the GR1 VRC Sires Produce Stakes and looked very good in the process.

Another colt, Tag You're It (Take A Gander x Status Tower), has performed well, with a current record of 2-0-1-1.  I picked up Tag as the prize for winning the Pick Winners Contest a while ago.  

Other than those two, it's been pretty bleak.  I won't go into the details, but I'm not seeing much that excites me.

Earlier this season, I sold off quite a few seasoned racers to make room for incoming foals.  With fewer veteran racers and the barren wasteland that is my 2yo string, I'm finding myself in a rather stark position for the remainder of the year and into 2020.

Of course I'll still have Le Chiffre, Helikaon, Infinity World, Kid Shelleen, Lapsus, Qi, Rico Suave, Simply Charming, and Scarlet Witch next season, so I'm not going to disappear into a black hole, but I am concerned nevertheless.

I wonder if I can squeeze another year out of Battlestar?

13 comments:

Elite said...

Lol! I'd love a "barren wasteland" if it's anything like yours Jim!!

Rico, Lapsus, Scarlet, Simply Charming, the little grey superstar Chiffre, and my absolute favourite Helikaon just to name a few.

As for Battlestar, he's a legend but the dirt classics will be strong next year with the emergence of this years super crop of current 3yo's.

From my own experience I'm regretting not retiring 2 of my best horses of last year who are now beyond struggling to compete.

But for Battlestar the worlds his oyster at the moment. I'm guessing we'll know more after the BC. :)

Anonymous said...

Would only keep le chiffre and simply charming
Had to go into the studbook to see who the others were cause never heard of them
Can see why u would be worried about next season with only one big name horse le chiffre . There doesn't seem to be many races for him either by the looks of it over 16 furlongs

Unknown said...

Well Rico Suave ran 2nds in the KYD derby and Belmont Qi won the Juddmonte and is lightly raced... and you will sell those horses that I just mentioned let aone Infinty World or Lapsus come on now and which stable is this>??

Jim Webber said...

Haha.. you'd only keep Le Chiffre and Simply Charming huh? Well, I'll take that sage advice under the consideration it deserves... which is none.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Maybe you won't have the strong 3 year old crop you had next year but you have nothing to fear with your older horses. You may have sold off some veterans but this years historically good 3 year old crop of yours will more then fill that void. These are top tier problems.

Jim Webber said...

Yeah, I'll be OK next year. The gist of the story was how poor my 2yo crop appears to be. Luckily, all of those no-name 3yo's will carry me through... ;)

Anonymous said...

There no champions is what I was saying
Look at there records there pretty average from what I see and it doesn't appear hard to make money on the game so therefore there average at best so yes I would be worried if I was u

Jim Webber said...

I guess it depends on how you define a champion. Are any of them gonna hit the top 25 all-time on the PF money board? No. Are any of them gonna earn $3 or $4 million in their careers? More than likely, so that makes them very valuable in my book.

Taking Le Chiffre and Simply Charming out of the picture, the others have a combined record of 77-22-20-13, that translates to a 29% win ratio and 71% on-the-board. That seems better than the "pretty average" you mention.

So, while my 2yo's appear to be a major question mark and I am worried about them, my 3yo's should continue to carry me next season.

Unknown said...

Jimbo don't feed the troll ;) seeing as they remain as Anonymous its obviously a troll....

But personally I think you should be fine your batch of current 3yr olds will keep you going and Hella Good and even Tesseract look ok his run last start behind Black Vertigo was pretty good and you just might have a good batch of yearings..

Mate I thought I was in the same postion last season and many of what I thought were average 2yr olds turned out to be Decent horses though Anonymous would probably disagree and has never heard of them.... Good luck with them mate and intresting to see how Hella Good goes against Thousand Slew as I seen he followed him across to the Turf Champagne

Jim Webber said...

Oh, I don't mind a little dissent now and then Steven. It makes for an interesting discussion. If he/she had criticized my 2yo's, I'd be right there with him/her. But his/her comments on my 3yo's are very uninformed. No problem though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thanks for the support Mate!

kingmambo said...

You also got Qi as well now Jim definitely another emerging force on the middle distance scene to be reckoned with for sure

kingmambo said...

Whoever posted the comment about getting rid of all but Le chiffre and Simply Charming ??? surely a wind up!!

Jim Webber said...

I'm easy to wind up!