Visitors

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2013 Racing string decisions...


The 2012 season is winding down and the time for tough decisions is here.

OK, I admit it. I've been procrastinating. I know I need to clear at least 5 more stalls, but I've chosen to let it slide a while longer to see what happens. Some recent developments have further confused the issue.

Here is a laundry list of horses that will/may be shipped off before next season:
  1. Eminem - He'll be a 6yo in 2013 and hasn't exactly been stellar this year. He won his last race though and that makes me wonder if he still hasn't got enough to stick around another season. Chances of going: 90%

  2. Petenwell - He'll also be a 6yo next year. He's still competitive though and usually has a 50/50 chance of posting a PSR of 100. If he goes, it'll be back to Smokey's. Chances of going: 70%

  3. Kostya - Won his last race and still has good speed. Plus he'll only be 5 next year. Chances of going: 10%

  4. The Reflex - Acquired in a swap with Bally Doyle for Rogue. Pretty much done as a racer and I was thinking broodmare all the way when I got her. However, I may need to pare down by one mare, and if I do, she'll be the one who goes. Chances of going: 60%

  5. Rich - She also won her last race and is still a young 3yo, so the jury is still out. However, she's not spectacular and I really need the stall so she may have to be sacrificed. Chances of going: 40%

  6. Tombstone - I like him and I think he has upside, but his progress has been pretty slow. Chances of going: 15%

  7. Katana - I was crucified in the forum for making a behind the scenes deal to acquire her (Otsego Unethical was the topic headline). After all that grief, she has not panned out. Chances of going: 75%

  8. Titanium - Spent $750,000 at auction to buy this filly because of her sire, Dubai Gold. She has also been a disappointment. Because of the high investment, she may get a little more time to prove herself, but maybe not. Chances of going: 33%

  9. Leaning Tower - A nicely bred colt that I bought for a song. I figured he'd crap out and I'd sell him at season end. He came up with a nice 2nd place recently and spun out a 94 PSR. He will probably get another year to prove himself. Chances of going: 15%

Five of these horses are gonna go. Maybe only four if one of them is The Reflex, because that would mean one less foal next year as well. I have just a few weeks to sort it out. If you have input, I'm listening.

5 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Send her back home jim - cheque book is open and there are a few nice studs i can slot her with!

Anonymous said...

My advice Sir Jim is sell all of your colts that are going to be 4+ and keep all the fillys / mares

The reason is u dont need anymore stallions when u have UJ , Nightwing and WM

Keep all your fillys / mares no matter what they have done on the track even if its for just 1 foal... Alot of good horses have come out of average mares as long as there given the right stallion

Sure u wont have alot of horses running if u sell the colts but trust me its worth it in the long run ... I remember i had 2 horses running for a few seasons( JMG + Scenic Sheba ) because i was building up my foals for the future and trust me after this years 2yo`s have gone around im glad i saved all my stalls for foals / yearlings instead of having older colts running


Foxie

Jim Webber said...

I wasn't planning on keeping any of those guys as stallions anyway Foxie, but your suggestion has made me think. Perhaps I will send Petenwell, Kostya, Eminem, and Tombstone all on there way. Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

i rekon you should sell leaning tower back too whom you bought him from!! lol

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.