Visitors

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Regrets? I've had a few...


We've all made mistakes on horses.  Sometimes we act rashly.  Sometimes our judgement is clouded by a Jedi mind trick.  Sometimes we are just plain stupid.  

Luckily, I haven't had the grievous situation where I have given up on a young horse and watched them vault up to super-stardom, but I have made my share of mistakes.

On a few occasions I have given up on older horses and watched them forge on as productive racers. Crossbones and Stowaway immediately come to mind.  Incidentally, they should both be excellent studs and poor Stowaway resides at Endless Vista, having never sired a foal.

I have sold or traded a few broodmares that I wish I had kept.  At the top of that list is On The Prowl, who I coveted for years.  When Chris over at Smokey's consented to the deal whereby I finally acquired her as a broodmare, I was ecstatic.  However, she has just one foal at Otsego Farms (Hella Good by War Machine) before I fell under the spell of a young horse owned by Olmo Dorato and made the deal sending On The Prowl to Italy in exchange for Lapsus.

As far as other broodmares are concerned, I probably should have kept Shattered Record, and Nova as well, although I did acquire the fine Bally Doyle mare Champions Dream in the Nova deal.

Anyone else care to comment on a transaction or decision they made that they wish could be undone?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

There have been many that I have regretted letting go. Many were simply because of needing stable space for upcoming foals.

The big ones that I regret are Informative, Castle Rock, Methy Bus and On The Prowl.

Jim Webber said...

You were very kind to sell both Methy Bus and On The Prowl to me Chris. I really do miss OTP, but I am very fond of Lapsus, so that tempers my regret somewhat.

Elite said...

I sold blue blood Evacuate as a 2yo after 1 or 2 starts. While I'm glad he went to such a good home and later excelled, his numbers were outstanding and if I'd known how to read them back then he never would have left :)

Jim Webber said...

I wouldn't feel too bad about misjudging Evacuate Zoe. His numbers at the time of his second race were good but certainly not eye popping. The chart below shows his Early Speed, Top Speed, Stamina, and Kick ratings at his second career race, the beginning and end of his winning streak as a 3yo, and at the beginning of his 6yo season.

ES TS ST KI
88 91 66 505
91 92 67 600
91 93 68 641
92 93 67 648

Even at his best, his numbers were only comparable to a horse like French Twist, who was far, far less successful. So don't beat yourself up too much on letting him go. I don't think anyone coujld have anticipated him being as good as he was.

This is a good example of how the base numbers do not always adequately define a horse. Evacuate obviously had other "hidden" qualities that pushed him above the norm.

Elite said...

Thanks Jim :) Yes
I've noticed that even with good numbers some horses don't eventuate to much in the same way some of my best horses only have moderate numbers!!

Unknown said...

There is probably only I regret selling Those being Reining Money and Kicking Byrd.. Reining money was simply were I already had a son of Smart Money standing at stud (Tony Montana) but why I sold kicking Byrd I will never know lol

Jim Webber said...

Actually, On The Prowl had 2 foals at Otsego Farms... both fillies, Hella Good and Short Skirt.