Visitors

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Hidden in plain sight...


I bred Nebula.  I raced her.  I retired her.  I've used her as a broodmare.  But, this horse has just been an afterthought for me for years.  I've considered selling her on many occasions.

She was sired by the great Dubai Gold out of the speedy sprinter/miler Nova and I had high hopes for her as a racer.  She never really panned out, though she was very steady.  She failed to produce a check only 4 times in 23 career races.

Somehow, as I shuffled through racers and broodmares, she kept slipping through the cracks and maintained her stall.  Only now, as I see her first two offspring begin to prosper, am I beginning to appreciate her quiet quality.

Her first foal, 3yo Kid Shelleen (War Machine) is very talented.  He has not broken his maiden yet, but he has finished 2nd in three straight races and looked very good in doing so.  His speed/stamina/kick ratings of 92-69-950 suggest future success.

In her second career start, Three Rings (Union Jack), the 2yo filly, displayed a  furious finishing rush that brought her from 9th to 2nd in the last two furlongs.  At the finish, it was a virtual dead heat, at track record speed, but the nod was given to the FDL colt Blistering Count.  Her numbers as a raw 2yo stand at 90-68-950 and could be very much like her older half-brothers when she matures.

Colts Moon Night (Nightwing) and Galactus (War Machine) are both standing in the wings for future racing.

And to think that I've taken this fine filly for granted for so long...

No comments: