Visitors

Friday, November 26, 2010

There's a first time for everything...

Otsego Farms has 50 stalls and I'd really like to keep it that way.  It seems like a reasonable number and I feel that I can give each horse the amount of attention it deserves with a stable this size.

But with just 50 stalls I'm constantly at odds with myself over how many foals to breed or as to whether I should buy another horse that I covet.  It's a balancing act and the easiest way to solve the problem is to just knuckle under and get more stalls.

But I am resolved to stay at 50 and in order to do that I have to do something I've never done before.  I have to sell unraced horses.  YIKES!

I have always been petrified selling an unraced horse, especially when I have bred them.  I figure this is the perfect scenario for Murphy's Law to come crashing down on my head.  If I ever breed a superstar, it'll more than likely be the one I give away, right?

But, realizing that trimming down my stable was a necessity, I analyzed my stock and picked out three youngsters that I needed to sell, the first of which was an offspring of the mighty War Machine.  

Tomyris 1F, a dirt sprinter out of Immortal should generate some interest because War Machine is starting to come into his own as a stud.  This year, several of his offspring such as House of M, Southern Belle, Conscription, General Admission, and War of the Lillies have begun to make a name for themselves.  I flat-out do not like selling unraced horses by my Triple Crown winning stallion, but that is what I've been forced to do in an effort to get into equilibrium stall-wise.

Another yearling filly, Sun Dial, was made available in spite of the fact that she was just purchased a few weeks ago.  She is a dirt stayer by Beamington who caught my eye, but in truth I simply don't have the space for her.

Lastly, Krakatoa, a 1yo colt by former stable favorite Doomsday also hit the sales page.  He is a miler who can handle dirt or turf adequately.  Our trainers feel he has great speed potential.

Three unraced horses, two of which are home bred, being sold by Otsego Farms.  As I said, there's a first time for everything.

No comments: