Visitors

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Just thinking aloud about my broodmare situation...

I positively cannot have more than 10 broodmares in my stable.

I am currently at full capacity and I have a fine broodmare prospect in House of M who will probably be retired at the end of the 2015 season.  Since I am interested primarily in Classic and Long Distance foals, Domino is the mare who least fits my needs, so she might end up on the chopping block, even as she is preparing to give birth to a foal any day now.

However, I'm not real comfortable letting Domino go.  I sold her once before, to my good friend Steven of Golden Acres, and immediately regretted it.  He was kind enough to sell her back when he ran into a stall crunch himself.  She eventually became an Otsego Farms broodmare, and rewarded me with a beautiful chestnut filly, Brick House (sire - Machete).

As I said, I'm partial to distance horses, but I'll take a nice sprinter if I can get one, and Brick House looks like a nice sprinter.  Multi-surface capable, with good speed and acceleration - what's not to like?  If Domino were to throw another talented sprinter this year (sire - Yeager), I would have reservations about letting her go.  I might be inclined to keep her and match her with a succession of sprinting sires.

If this were to happen, and my plans were to change, I would have to choose another mare to go and that would be either False Demon or Baby Greyhound.  False Demon was acquired specificially to breed with War Machine, but their first two tries were both disappointments; colt Trebuchet (who will debut this year) and filly Anck Su Namun.  In her career as a broodmare, Baby Greyhound has had mixed-to-poor results so far.  Mixing things up, I matched False Demon with Nightwing this year, and Baby Greyhound with Union Jack, who has a history of producing quality offspring.

So, one of those three (Domino, False Demon, Baby Greyhound) will be sold during 2015 to make room for House of M.  Who it will be depends entirely on how the new foals look.  Just a few more days...

No comments: