Visitors

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chance meeting. Part Two.

"Mike, you gotta get back into the horse racing business."

Mike took a sip of beer and gazed out at the field.  "Nah,  It's not gonna happen."

"I know you're doing consulting work for Sunshine Stables and that keeps you involved, but it's not the same as running your own stable Mike."

"I'm happy with the way things are now.  If Holli needs help, I give her a hand.  I don't need to be more involved than that."

Our conversation ebbed and we watched infield practice for a few moments in silence.  Voices were raised behind us, and I heard snippets of the conversation, which was concerning the best boxing knockouts of all time.. 

I turned in my chair and joined the conversation.  "No offense Tommy.  Your KO of Pipino Cuevas was a thing of beauty, but I think the Mike Weaver knockout of Big John Tate was the best."

Tom Selleck after swallowing shrimp.
"Obviously you haven't seen the Rocky Marciano knockout of Jersey Joe Walcott," Al Kaline chimed in, dismissing me with a wave of his hand.  Selleck mumbled incoherently and nodded his head in agreement, unable to talk with his mouth full of shrimp cocktail.

"Hey Tom, the ocean called.  They're running out of shrimp", Kid Rock shouted.

Amid laughter, the boxing conversation continued and I turned back to Mike.  "I've got Mocha Milkshake going this weekend."

I bought this horse from Noble Farms for $200,000 a few seasons back.  His price was so affordable due to the "matures very slowly" line on his AR.

"I saw that."

"He's still not mature, but I've waited long enough."

Smiling, "Yes, you have."

"So, I can't convince you to get back into horseracing?"

Smugly, "No, you can't."

1 comment:

Jim Webber said...

Note: Mocha Milkshake was a late scratch.