Visitors

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I gotta decide between these two...

Domino or Nebula?  Which one shall I keep as a broodmare?

There is one stall to be had.  It is currently occupied by Domino, but Nebula will be retiring after this season and if she stays on as a broodmare, it'll have to be at Domino's expense.  It's shaping up to be a tough decision.

My initial gut reaction was to keep Nebula.  She has had a better career and is capable of a little more distance.  Decision made, right? 

Wrong.  There is something staying my hand and I can't explain what it is.

Here are their racing stats on the third race of their respective 3yo seasons:

Domino 77  89  92  69  460
Nebula  80  91  92  68  987

Nebula has a better gate speed, better early speed and a much better kick rating.  In practice, she also had better performances at longer distances even though her stamina rating was lower.  Their top speeds were equal.  Overall. I'd give the nod to Nebula.

However, Nebula had a short performance peak, which she may pass along to her offspring.  Domino had an average peak which is obviously preferable.  In addition, Domino has thrown two really nice looking sprinters; fillies Brick House by Machete, and Tricky Woo by Yeager.  Both have good acceleration and good speed in addition to great surface flexibility.  I really like the look of these fillies so that is a point in Domino's favor.

With her great speed and high kick rating, I kinda feel that Nebula would produce superior foals.  But since I'm very satisfied with Domino's offspring thus far, I'm afraid to let her go.

I'm in particular hurry to make a decision.  It's just gotta be done before the end of the year.  I'll keep thinking...

2 comments:

chiknsmack said...

Keep Nebula. If Brick House and Tricky Woo turn out as nice as you think they will, they can replace Nebula in your broodmare band in three or four years time. If they turn out to be rubbish, you'll be glad you got rid of their dam before you bred a couple more rubbish foals from her.

Plus Nebula is a better racer, PLUS she can be crossed with War Machine.

If you're REALLY pressed for space though, I'm sure you could find a buyer for In Spirit.

Jim Webber said...

Yeah, I agree with you Smack. I was leaning that way (although not for all the same reasons that you mentioned so eloquently). Thanks for the input.

I'll put Domino up for sale. I think I'll keep In Spirit. I like what she has done so far.