Visitors

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A chance meeting with an old friend. Part One.

As I was stepping into my Luxury Suite at Comerica Park on October 13th, I could not help but notice a familiar figure walking along.  A tall chap with very good posture.  He had a slightly exaggerated swing of the right arm and a beer firmly clenched in his left hand.  A wide smile erupted on my face as I spotted the Otsego Farms sweatshirt he was wearing. 

I cupped my hands and called, "Hey Mike!"  He spun on his heel.  Any other man might have sloshed a bit of the brew, but not this fellow. 

Recognition dawned on his face.  "Weaver?"

I shook my head and smiled.  That is Mike Noble's pet name for me.  Webber... Weaver, It's a long story.  Mike Noble is the former owner of Noble Farms, a short-lived but successful thoroughbred racing stable.

He dodged and weaved through the crowd and stopped in front of me.  "Nice shirt," I said with another smile.

"This thing?  I 'm just about ready to throw it in the rag bin.  You here for the game?"

"No, I need the extra money so I'm here as a hot dog vender .  Jeez, whatdya think, Mo?"

Chuckling, Mike looked up and down the corridor.  "Where are you sitting?"

I jerked a thumb at the door to the Luxury Suite.  "Right here.  You wanna join me?"

"Nah, I've got some excellent seats myself."

I snatched the ticket stubs I saw peeking out of his front pocket.  "Dude, these are bleacher tickets!  C'mon, you can sit in the Suite with me.  Who are you here with?"

"Just a few guys I know."

"Well they won't miss you for a few minutes.  C'mon in."

Heads turned as we entered the Suite.  I made some quick introductions.  "Mike, I don't know if you ever met Al Kaline?"  I continued, pointing around the room.  "That's Steve Yzerman over there.  That derelict at the bar is Kid Rock.  The other guys are Tommy Hearns, Barry Sanders, and the tall fella is Tom Selleck."

After handshakes were exchanged and hello's spoken, Mike and I settled into a couple leather recliners.  The panoramic view of Comerica Park was stretched before us.  "Mike, you gotta get back into the horse racing business", I stated with no preamble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

geez ol mike noble, hows that fella going? ashame he left as he would of had quite a few good horse's racing under his command!!!

steven-golden acres