Visitors

Monday, October 31, 2011

Otsego Farms - Home of Worthless Horses?

Captain Britain - Worthless?
I've tried to sell two horses in the past week and have had zero success.  Even extracting a bid from the Photo-Finish populace has proven elusive in the case of these two horses.

Captain Britain is a lightly raced 3yo, sired by Union Jack, and yet could garner only a single bid; and just $1000 to boot.  He has not burned up the tracks yet, but has had some success and currently sports a 7-1-0-2 record with earnings of $92,500.  This seems like a horse that would attract some attention, especially given how Union Jack has become a very desirable stud.  After getting just the one bid, I decided to keep him.

A nice young broodmare was also up for sale.  6yo Domino who is by War Machine out of Sharp Cat, received just one bid for $1000.  With a decent track record and superlative breeding, I thought this mare would certainly be worth the $50,000 reserve.  I've seen some mares used in breeding that are clearly inferior to Domino and yet, no one saw fit to pick this girl up.

Perhaps I am overstating Domino's value.  There are dozens of mares that retire every year, many of them becoming broodmares.  So, because there is such a ready supply available, any mare who was not a superstar is commonplace and valueless.

However Domino has a unique set of traits that lead me to believe she may in fact be a valuable commodity.  She is very strong on dirt surfaces, 5-5-5.  With a 92 top speed she is capable of producing sprinters and with a 69 stamina she is also capable of producing miler-to-classic racers.  I like her versatility and since I no longer have an issue with stalls for breeders, I'm gonna keep her.

2 comments:

joshkayll said...

I wouldn't say that Jim. I was interested in Captain Britain but didn't have the space to boot up the bid. I think he is a decent racehorse.

Jim Webber said...

It's a little tongue in cheek Josh, but I was still surprised that Cap got so little traction.

Of course, everyone tends to think more highly of their own horses...