Visitors

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

A busy five minutes in the office of Jim Webber



Otsego Farms owner Jim Webber is sitting at his desk going over potential pairings for the next breeding season...

JW (thinking to himself):  I think I'd like Union Jack and Shattered Record together again.  You Know My Name has worked out pretty well so far...
Secretary (on intercom):  Mr. Webber?  You have a call on line one.
JW:  Who is it Celeste?
Secretary:  It's Amanda.  She wants you to come to London next week.
JW:  Thanks.  (picks up call)  Mandy?  How are you?
A:  Just smashing Jim.  Thanks for taking my call.
JW:  No problem.  What can I do for you?
A:  Any chance you can pop over to Bally Doyle next week?
JW:  Business or pleasure?
A:  Business of course!
JW:  I'd love to Amanda but I'm going to be in Dubai all next week.
A:  Dubai?  This time of year?  Whatever for?
JW:  Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum has asked me to be his child's Godfather.
A:  Really?  Does the Muslim faith allow for that?
JW:  I think they are making a special allowance in my case.
A:  Well, tell the Sheik I said hello.  I met him at the UAE Derby a couple years ago.
JW:  Will do.  Listen Amanda, I'm sorry to cut you off, but I really have to run.
A:  OK.  Give me a ring when you get back.
JW:  I will.  Cya!
A:  Toodles!

JW (into intercom):  Celeste?  Can you hold my calls for the next hour or so?  
Secretary:  Sure, except you've got an urgent call on line two right now.  He's been holding.
JW:  Who?
Secretary:  It's Ryan Okerstom of Spartan.
JW (as he pushes the button for line 2):  Dammit!  What in the Hell does that.... Ryan!  Buddy!  What's up?
R:  I just wanted to know if you're going to the Belmont this year?
JW:  I sure am.  I might even drop in Azrael as a late entry, but either way I'll be there.
R:  Sweet!  We've shipped Theorist already.  Umm.... how are you getting there.
JW:  The jet.  How else?  Ahhh... you're looking for a lift huh?
R:  You're a mindreader bud.
JW:  Yeah right.  OK no problemo, I can pick you and Karie up at Metro Airport easily enough.  Can I transfer you to my secretary to make the arrangements?  I'm kinda busy at the moment.
R:  Sure.  Thanks alot Jim.  We'll see you in a couple weeks.
JW:  Allrighty.  See ya Ryan.  Hang on a sec... (transfers call back to Celeste)  Celeste?  Can you figure out the logistics of picking up Ryan at Metro when I fly to the Belmont?  He's still on the line.  Thanks.

JW (thinking to himself again): Jeez.  Where was I?  Oh yeah, Union Jack and Shattered Record.  All I need to do now is find a stud for Domino and I'll be all set...

3 comments:

Amanda said...

And the spooky part is that I do say "Toodles"!!!!

Rbokie24 said...

Make sure there is plenty of Patron and Guinness aboard.

Jim Webber said...

I'll mention it to the crew.