Visitors

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Just thinking aloud...

I was analyzing my racing roster today and came to the following conclusions:
  1. It's entirely possible that 6yo male Refractor has peaked and may slip a bit this year.  His PSR's were still strong last season, but he seemed to have lost his nose for the wire.  Regardless of his performance this year, he will join War Machine, Nightwing, and Union Jack as a breeding stallion after the 2017 season.
  2. 3yo filly Mona Lisa has the slowest Gate Speed in my racing string, which in my opinion, is the kiss of death for a sprinter.  She was uninspiring as a 2yo and will have a very short leash this season.  She is even slower at the start than Crossbones, who is notorious for bumbling and stumbing out of the gate.
  3. Not counting the sprinters, newly acquired 4yo Acquarella may be the fastest horse in my stable.  This guy earned over $1,000,000 last season and was picked up for a song at the auction.
  4. I gave up on 4yo filly Boudica after a couple disasterous early performances, even though I knew she was a late maturing type.  I had second thoughts and bought her back late last season for $100.  In six career races, she has never finished better than next-to-last, and yet, I feel that she will turn the corner and be a productive racer in 2017.  I figure I'll get my $100 back, at least.  :)
  5. The slowest horse in my stable is 3yo colt Vinyasa, whose AR prophetically reads, "Unfortunately this horse does not have a lot of speed".  However, he also has the highest Kick rating, surpassing even Refractor and Astrapios.  I think this bodes well for the future, especially since Vinyasa has a long peak and his Stamina should continue to improve.
  6. Fastest horse at Otsego Farms?  That would be 4yo filly Xtra Gold with a Top Speed of a blazing 94.  French Twist, 3yo colt,  is second fastest, clocking in at 93.
  7. I've got three stallions already (see #1 above) and in another year or two, I may have six.  Refractor will definitely stay on, and I'm thinking seriously of keeping both Methy Bus and Alphabet as well.  They are both supremely talented and I think they would be successful as studs. 

No comments: