Visitors

Friday, February 22, 2013

She ought to produced a Hell of a good foal...




On The Prowl is a horse that I have wanted for a long time.

Maybe it is the name that captured my fancy. They do that once in a while. In the past, I have been known to buy horses just on the strength of their name! Not the greatest strategy I have ever employed, I must admit.

Perhaps it was her breeding.  Dawn Patrol x Magnificat is a potent combination, and the fact that she is snow white nicely sets her apart nicely from the rank and file.

More than likely it was her early career exploits.  She came out of the gate winning; setting a World Record in her first start!  If that doesn't grab your attention, nothing will.

However it happened... I was transfixed early on and followed her for her entire career. 

Over the years, Chris Campbell, owner of Smokey's Stable, and I had a few brief discussions regarding On The Prowl, but nothing ever came of it until just recently.  Frankly, I'm not even sure how it came about.  We were just chatting via email one day and the next thing I knew, I had traded Shattered Record for On The Prowl, even up.

On paper it looks like a pretty even trade.  Shattered Record had a very respectable career and had ability on different surfaces and distances.  Plus, she is out of Lady's Secret, making her a granddaughter of the great Secretariat.  I was pretty attached to her, but even so, was glad to make the swap for a horse I had desired for many years.

So, best of luck to Chris with Shattered Record.  As for me, On The Prowl will start off by pairing up with War Machine.  Who else?  The foal, colt or filly, will be named Hella Good.

No comments: