Visitors

Friday, February 16, 2007

Just thinking aloud....


It's possible I am wrong in the following statement, but I don't think so.

I have never entered more than one horse in any single race.

But I have noticed a trend that seemingly becomes more pronounced every year. There appear to be more and more occasions of a stable entering two horses in a given race.

I suppose this is simply a function of established stables getting bigger and bigger. Those horses have to race somewhere, right?

And yet, I find it slightly disturbing on some level. I'm not really sure why.

In my early years at Photo-Finish, I can't recall ever noticing this phenomenon. I'm sure there was the odd race where a stable had two entries, but it was so infrequent that I never even noticed.

This week there are 27 races. There are a total of 15 occurrences where a stable has two entries in a single race. Glancing over the pre-race card you can't help but notice.

As the horse population continues to increase, will we soon see stables with three entries in a race? Four?

I don't have any suggestions, nor do I even know if suggestions are needed. I'm not even sure if it's a problem or ever will be.

All I know is that I noticed it and for some reason I'm not crazy about it.

4 comments:

Bill said...

I think we need more lower level races, maidens and allowances...in real life you don't debut a 3 yo in a grade 3 stakes like I just did and got my head handed to me

Jim Webber said...

I agree with you Mayor. There are alot of horses that simply get shipped to EV because they cannot compete at the graded races.

However, at least there are many more of those type of races now compared to several seasons ago when there were none.

Amanda O'Brien said...

There is a rule where you can only enter a max of 2 horses per race per stable. Short of compeltely revamping the rules, race type and pretty much the whole game there isnt much we can do to change. The only other alternative is an "earnings" cap whereas only horses who have won over a certain amount can run in certain level races.

Jim Webber said...

Aha. I wasn't aware of the limit of 2 per stable per race. Thanks A.