Visitors

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Otsego free breedings? Ummm...nope.


It seems that offering free breedings to new players is the politically correct thing to do these days.

Evidently, newbies are such as fragile lot that they require special treatment. In addition to the free breedings, they also receive free horses when they open their doors.

Hmmm, I must have missed out on that deal. I paid for all the horses in my initial batch. I started right at the beginning of a season and bought my horses at the auction. No freebies for me. I don't remember the exact number, but I spent approximately $60,000 of my $200,000 stake on horses. Newbies weren't coddled back in my day.

Don't misunderstand, I love newbies. They are the life blood of the game. New ideas and new personalities are very important for the continuing health of Photo-Finish. I'm just not sure how we have evolved into acting like doting parents for every new player that comes aboard.

It just seems like we're holding their hands a little too much. They need to learn to walk on their own. If they fall and scrape their knees a couple times, so be it. It makes you appreciate walking on your own a little more when you've learned by yourself, know what I mean?

It may seem heartless of us here at Otsego Farms, but we believe in self-sufficiency. Therefore, we won't ever offer free breedings, free racers, or free broodmares. I have been known to sell a horse cheaply on occasion just to help someone out, but that is as far as I go. Just call me Snidely Whiplash. (Anyone remember him?)

Advice however, is always free.

2 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Jim - you have said exactly what i have been thinking. Nancy has posted something similar. Personally I am getting fed up of holding their hands and bascially letting them have the pick of the horses and races.

Maybe we can have deals where only stables established over 3 seasons and with earnings in excess of $2million can bid or get special breedings?!

Well Done!!! You have my full backing on this - both here and on the forum.

Amanda - Bally doyle

Jim Webber said...

Amanda, my dear, you and I always seem to think along the same lines. Have you noticed that?