Visitors

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Racer portion of auction completed

UNOFFICIAL AT THIS TIME. FINAL SALES RESULTS HAVE NOT YET BEEN POSTED.

It got frantic as the seconds ticked down to 8pm ET. The were four horses that really caught my attention. I hoped to get two of them.
  1. Big Easy, 5yo male from Bonai.
  2. Fine Jeune Day, 4yo filly from Stonewall.
  3. Arctic Fox, 2yo filly from Endless Vista.
  4. Dragon Force, 2yo filly from Endless Vista.
Stonewall was bidding against me on FJD, so I gave up on that possibility. Since he was the buyer and seller, he can bid whatever he wants since he'll be giving himself the money.

Our similar taste for talent manifested itself again as I noticed that Stoney was also bidding on Arctic Fox, a filly that he bred. Since my preference was Dragon Force of the two 2yo fillies, I also dropped out of that bidding war.

I wanted Dragon Force because her dam, Dragon Flyer, produced Union Jack, my fine 4yo router, and Rogue, my yearling filly by War Machine. I am very happy with both of those horses, so I thought I'd like to have the only other Dragon Flyer offspring that is available. Unofficially, I was able to acquire her for $176,000.

So, that left Big Easy. Incredibly, Stonewall and I were also both interested in this superb miler. I had actually discussed Big Easy via email with Donnie of Bonai Farms earlier in the day. I wondered how much gas BE still had in his tank. It was Donnie's opinion (and he is one of the most successful owners in Photo Finish) that BE was on the decline. I checked his performance from last season, and with the exception of his last race, he was very good. I decided to throw caution to the wind and try to get the big fellow. Unofficially, I was able to acquire him for $667,777. Hopefully he can earn that much for me in the upcoming season.

So, if those two purchase hold up, and I have every reason to think they will, I will have acquired a fine 2yo filly in Dragon Force, and the dangerous 5yo male Big Easy.

Pop the champagne boys, it's time to party!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimbo, it is not surprising that we look at the same horses. We have both been around the block a few times. I wanted Arctic Fox, so I would have fought for her if your pushed me. I don't have your cash. The ting with Fine Jeune Day is that, technically, there were no bids on her when I decided to drop a hint. Everybody was absurdly under my reserve. My bid was also under the reserve, I was just trying to point subsequent bidders toward the ball park. Unfortuantely you and everyone else misunderstood. No matter. I am glad to have her still. Congrats on Big Easy. I think he has some fast miles in him yet.

Jim Webber said...

I was waiting to see what developed on FJD. When I saw that it was you that topped one of my preliminary bids, I figured you wanted her back and there was no point in continuing to bid. That was when I turned my attention fully to Big Easy.

I was hoping to get Dragon Force for sure and I would've like FJD for a future broodmare (if she isn't a star in the breeding shed, I'll be very surprised).

Once I got my mind set on Big Easy though, I started liking the idea. I was hoping that you had too many horses on your bidding plate and that I could get him while you were checking the status of your other bids.

I always feel better about my choices when someone like you covets the same horses.....