Visitors

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Running style preferences


The horses of Photo-Finish run with one of the following styles.
  • Front runner/On Lead
  • Stalker
  • Mid-Pack
  • Come From Behind
  • Flexible
Certain styles obviously go very nicely with other horse attributes.

For Sprinters, I prefer a front runner who uses the On Lead strategy. I think you would agree that in a 5 or 6 furlong race with a big field, it's nice to get out front and out of the traffic. Hopefully they have the speed to maintain their early lead.

Conversely, I prefer a Mid-Pack or Come From Behind style for a Stayer. I like them to cruise along freely at a lower effort rating, then make a run at the end while the other horses are tiring.

The style that I least prefer is Flexible. It seems like every Flexible horse I own runs On Lead all the time. Predator, Doomsday, and War Machine all followed that pattern. All three were Flexible, but they all ran as a front runner almost exclusively.

They all were successful racers, but I feel that Predator and Doomsday could have both been much better if they had truly been Flexible rather than running On Lead every race. P and D were both supposed to be good up to 12 furlongs, but the On Lead strategy they employed made them expend too much early stamina, effectively making them both 8 furlong horses at the maximum. Running On Lead did not effect War Machine due to his remarkable stamina.

My next generation horses have the following combinations:
  • Big Slick - Stalker / Likes a lot of distance
  • Mister Fantastic - Mid-Pack / Classic distances
  • Night Thrasher - Stalker / Sprinter
The new abbreviated AR's do not list the running style, so I will not know what Rogue, Bane, and Quicksilver prefer until I race them, then see the rating afterwards in Amanda's Past Performance spreadsheet.

No comments: