Visitors

Monday, January 24, 2011

I think I've finally figured it out...

While sitting under an apple tree, Sir Isaac Newton was inspired to create his universal theory of gravitation when an apple dropped on his head.  I have recently had a similar epiphany and discovered what I believe to be a universal truth.

What is this universal truth? 

There is not a lot of value in two-year-old horses. 

The fact is, I just don't run them enough for them to be worth much.  Here we are at the halfway point in the season and my ten 2yo's have run a combined total of SIX races.  Now, how in the heck can I make judgements on the value and keepability of these horses if the database for my consideration is so small?

You see, I'm forced to make value judgements quickly on these horses because of my stall situation.  My 50-stall organization was supposed to be comprised as follows:

3 Stallions
10 Broodmares
10 Two-year olds
10 One-year olds
10 Foals
7 Racers aged 3+

My problem?  Because of my propensity to severely limit my 2yo entries, I don't have enough data to make an informed decision on which 2yo's go and which stay.  There is only one remedy for this quandary. 

I gotta have more stalls!

My new configuration will be exactly as above with one addition:

10 Three-year olds

Basically, all of the 2yo's will get a free pass into their 3yo season and I'll take a little longer to evaluate them.  At some time during that season, some will undoubtedly get the boot, but it won't be before they have convinced me thoroughly of their lack of talent.

This just feels right.

2 comments:

Crsita ~ Rivendell said...

Gotta have more stalls is the reason I sold Baby Greyhound, as one of the least money earning mares in my barn, lower PSRs combined with the fact I had a few foals from her already sent her packing. I wouldn't have had room for the foal either, especially seeing as my own bred mares are starting to retire to breed. I've sold two other mares this year, and I still have too many mares, 13 total and one retiring at the end of the year.

I usually end up spending 80% of my yearly earnings on new stalls, (7-8 stalls every season) and 15% on breedings, which leaves me with very little at the begging of every year, but its well worth it. ;-)

Jim Webber said...

Yeah, I'm gonna spend a big part of my bankroll on stalls this year. I think that 60 stalls will do, but I've been slowly increasing my size for years, so who knows?

Baby Greyhound is a horse I've always liked for some odd reason. She hasn't done that well in the shed yet, but I'll give her a try and hope for the best until a better mare comes along.