Visitors

Saturday, July 09, 2011

A peek into the office of Jim Webber, Owner of Otsego Farms

Recent conversation between Otsego Farms owner Jim Webber and his Head Trainer:

HT: Do you have a few minutes to go over some horses Boss?

JW: Sure.  Let's do it.  Have a seat.  Would you like a Perrier?

HT: Thanks.  (Settles himself on leather couch and looks over notes.)

JW: Anything else I can get you?  No?  OK, let's get started.

HT: Shatterstar?

JW: He stays.  He's still serviceable King.  I want to race him one more year and then we'll see.

HT: (Nods head and jots down a note.)   Are we gonna send Kayson to any GR1 races this year?

JW: I know he's has disappointed in the GR1's so far King, but those 107/108/109 PSR's are going to start telling  very soon.  He's too darn fast not to win.  I want to see him in as many GR1's as possible.

HT: Uh huh.  Got it.  What about Machine Gun?

JW: That reminds me.  Excuse me King.  (Speaks into intercom to Secretary)  Celeste?  Please send Foxie four dozen roses and a $500 Gift Card to the Champagne Brasserie.  Thank you.  (Turns attention back to Trainer) I feel that Machine Gun will blossom this year King, but the clock is already ticking.  No more Stakes races.  GR3 or higher, OK?

HT: Gotcha.  We agree on Methy Bus?

JW: Right.  10F or farther until further notice.  He should have a monster year.

HT:  (Checks notes again) I want to race Refractor strictly at 16F.  Are we in agreement on that?

JW: Yes.  I want to own that distance King.  Is that clear?

HT: Crystal.  What about Art of Seduction Boss?

JW: You tell me King.  Is he a sprinter or not?

HT: He's no sprinter Boss.  I figure he should be running at 10-12F.

JW: Then make it so.

HT: (Smiles) OK Jean-Luc.  (Consults notes) What about Mocha Milkshake?

JW: That horse isn't going to be mature until he's 4 next year King, but not racing him is killing me.  Shoot for a debut in July and we'll see where we're at then.  Anything else?

HT: Just some odds and ends Boss.  Nothing we haven't already talked about.

JW: How's Juggernaut looking?

HT: He's a stunner Boss. 

JW: Excellent. 

5 comments:

chiknsmack said...

When I sat on Color of Fame for most of his 2yo year and then he won a Gr. 1 on debut as a late 2yo, I was left wondering what might have been had I debuted him earlier and then taken on the older horses as a 2yo in the Ranvet or Queen Elizabeth.

If you run Mocha Milkshake as an early 3yo and he gets beaten because he's not ready, you can stick him back on the shelf for 8 months or so safe in the knowledge that you're not missing anything. If you hold onto him until July and he wins first-up, you'll wonder how many millions you left on the table by not running in the Japanese/VRC/Epsom derbies.

I don't breed many slow-maturers (2 of 37 in my last three crops are average, the rest mature quickly) but even if I end up with one I won't be sitting on him beyond August of his 2yo year.

Crista~Rivendell said...

After your foal comment in the forum you need to find a picture of your office thats been toilet papered. lol ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thx for the gifts ;)

Goodluck wth Juggernaut



Foxie

Chelsey T said...

I was emailed a photo of Jim's Office after the fact... :D

http://hopefulfarm.blogspot.com/2011/07/throughout-year-hopeful-farm-staff.html

Jim Webber said...

I'll take your suggestion under consideration Smack.

I hope you enjoyed the dinner and flowers Foxie. ;D

I had to fire my head of security for that affair in my office Chelse. Perhaps you have a position for him?