Visitors

Monday, November 14, 2011

Refractor to Gold Cup on short rest?

On the heels of his easy victory at the GR2 Perth Cup, the connections at Otsego Farms are seriously considering sending Refractor to the GR1 Gold Cup on just 17 days rest.

There is precedent for this quick back up.  In 2006, Otsego Farms sent Nightwing to both races.  He finished 2nd in the Perth Cup behind the legendary 2-miler Promised Land, then got his revenge by beating her to win the Gold Cup two weeks later.

"The thought has crossed my mind," Otsego owner Jim Webber quipped when asked if he would enter Refractor for the race on June 16th.  "He was fairly fresh after the easy win on the 31st, so I am definitely giving it some thought."

4 comments:

Chelsey T said...

Run on Sentence is already shipped. But I'm taking the Gulfstream this weekend if you're still thinking of coming. I was surprised that Refractor opted for the Perth Cup instead of the Gold Cup.

Jim Webber said...

I sent him to the Perth Cup because I was entertaining the notion of sending him to both races. He has raced so sparingly, that I figured he might be able to handle a quick turnaround. I'm still considering it. I'm sure it'll be a 7:55pm ET decision...

Chelsey said...

It's shaping up to be a good race - I hope Refractor shows up.

Jim Webber said...

I threw him in there but was still considering pulling him even as the final minutes ticked down. However, I noticed that a couple other horses pulled out, so I decided just to leave him in. I hope it works out...