Visitors

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Horses at the crossroads...

As year-end beckons, the urge to clear out the stable becomes stronger and stronger.  There are a couple racers in particular who are very close to being sold...

3yo colt Schoolboy Heart was a impulse buy from Sunshine Stables a few months ago.  He has some decent tools, and is a later maturing type, so I thought he might be worth a chance.  His PSR's have been climbing in the last four races, 36, 71, 78, 89; but I'm thinking that he may have very limited potential.  Perhaps that stall would be more valuable if it was vacant?

3yo colt Art of Seduction was purchased last year as a long-term prospect.  His AR says sprinter, but his low speed / high stamina ratings scream stayer.  He has generally been more productive at longer distances, but he's not showing enough to keep me interested in this experiment.

Both of these colts are racing this weekend and their performances will dictate whether they are on the sales board or not by Sunday afternoon.

Additionally, I am contemplating making some kind of change with my broodmares.  I'd like to introduce some new blood, but it will require moving a mare or two to accommodate the prospective newcomers.  I've got Nebula joining the ranks at the end of the season, giving me 10 broodmares, which is exactly where I want to be numerically.

False Demon, Second Strike, and Shattered Record are mares that could potentially be sold or traded.  FD and SS were both acquired specifically to breed with stable icon War Machine, but the results have been less than expected so far.

I have scoured the available mares at Endless Vista, and I can only say that the pickings are mighty slim.  Prices on mares have gone through the roof in the past couple years, so a straight-up purchase may be out of the question as well.  A broodmare trade may be a possibility.  If anyone has any suggestions or offers, I'm willing to listen.

No comments: