Visitors

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Over before it ever started?



I was all set to roll out a new stat this week. I've been working on it for a while now. It's called Speed Score. It compares each time run with a par score at each surface/distance combination. The par score is the average of every winning time in PF history at each surface/distance combination. There's still some tweaking that can be done with it, but it seems pretty interesting.

Then the first week of racing happened and I'm not sure that I even want to continue with it. There seems to be a "super horse" issue in our little racing world. Occasionally, a horse will top the speed/stamina cap by one. It happens. No big deal. It was pointed out to me this week (I haven't checked all the numbers on my own...yet) that sixteen different horses were over the "cap". A world record was "smashed" this week. By two horses. One was four over the limit and the other three. This really isn't a new phenomena either. Here are a few horses from last year.

Horse A: +2, +3, +3, +2, +2, EVEN, +2, +2, EVEN The two EVEN's happened on tracks rated as "OK" and "No!". If those two were at a "Yes", they would have been plus also. The horse went undefeated.

Horse B: +2, +2, +2, +2, EVEN, +2, +2, EVEN, +2, +2, +2, +2. The two EVEN's came on the only two tracks rated below "Yes". This horse also went undefeated.

These aren't the only two that were consistently over the limit. Let me say this right now. I don't believe for one second that Laurie is cheating. The software is known to be buggy. I know of a year in the past where every horse from certain crops were showing up as a "Fair" in the stamina department. Even if they were something else the year before. Something needs to be done though. The "super horses" need to be reigned in. Either that or do away with the cap. It's just not fair to have horses competing with two different limits. It also takes the fun out of the game.

7 comments:

Jim Webber said...

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention DJ. I think it is an issue that needs to be resolved immediately. These superhorses have sprinter speed AND stayer stamina, which makes them unbeatable. Heat On Mars had ratings of 91/74, which is an unprecedented total of 165. At his prime, War Machine had a total of 162. I cannot stress enough how important it is to reinstate a hard maximum on these totals.

DJ said...

I finally got around to updating some of my stuff. Here is the breakdown for the first week. 459 runners. 16 of them were above the limit. I know it's only 3.5%, but you can't have 96.5% with a hard cap and the others above said cap.

Chelsey Thangvijit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsey T said...

I want to see DJ's new stats! :)

Dave O'Leyar said...

DJ, you are so full of crap. You should have simply contacted Laurie to tell her of the problem; instead you used your "yellow journalism" to make a sensation of the issue.

If you wanted to be helpful an e-mail message to Laurie would have been in order. That you didn't respect Laurie enough to even do that says more about your intent and integrity.

I wouldn't blame Laurie for shutting the game down permanently as you immature babies are always complaining. I am Laurie's husband and KNOW how much time she fritters away doing this game; I take offense at your insinuations and lack of personal merit. As far as I am concerned I could simply flip the switch on the server and kiss you and your ilk "goodbye".

Sorry if you take offense but your shabby way of supporting a game that most are too cheap to support both financially as well in spirit simply makes my blood boil.

Hope you enjoy your flimsy success in fanning the flames of discontent; as the server lives in my house I might just have a say in what happens next.

I wonder how many PF fans would hold you in any esteem once you are the engine of the finish of PF.

I hope you are happy; most PF fans will hold YOU responsible.

No matter how great a journalist you may think you are, you are simply a bully and a person seeking notoriety at the expense of the reputation of a person who does have integrity. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are not a class act, and people who read this will realize as much, of that I am certain.

Mistakes happen all the time and a person with integrity would have let Laurie know about it before smearing her on a public site. That you failed to do that says all one needs to know about you, sir.





Anonymous said...

I will not hold DJ/Jim responsible ..... not even slightly.
This blog HELPS the game and you are too blinded to see it.

Michael
Iron Racing

Anonymous said...

Wow. The response to whistle blowing is astounding. Shoot the messenger. Attempting blackmail to silence those brave enough to speak. Sad to see him go and fully expect Dave to exploit the exit of one go the game's biggest assets. Sycophants generally are rewarded. Maybe with the next "mistake".