Visitors

Friday, July 11, 2014

On The Prowl is on the move

The 2yo colt Lapsus caught my eye recently.  After performing the appropriate due diligence, I decided that I wanted to own him.

The only problem was that he was owned by Ettore at the Italian stable Olmo Dorato. Ettore is very reasonable, but being the owner of the largest stable in the Photo Finish universe, he obviously doesn't need my money.  A trade for breeding stock was what he had in mind.  He was interested in broodmares Xtra Gold and On The Prowl.  

I bought Xtra Gold from Glenmore Park for $4M in an attempt to bull my way into the sprinting game.  I have way too much invested in this mare to let her go, so she was off the table.

On The Prowl was something I was willing to discuss because she is 13 years old now and has a more limited breeding window than 5yo Xtra Gold.  On the other hand, she was a horse I coveted for a long time, before my good friend Chris Campbell at Smokey's Stable traded her to me for broodmare Shattered Record.  I was loathe to give her up.

With the high prices that good mares are commanding these days, I didn't think it made sense to trade On The Prowl for an untested 2yo, even-up.  I countered to Ettore; asking for $750k and Lapsus, half hoping that he would turn me down... but he took the deal.

Lapsus is a talented classic-type runner in the mold of Methy Bus, at least that is how I see it.  I hope I'm right, because On The Prowl is a helluva nice mare and I'll miss having her in the breeding shed.

No comments: