Visitors

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A short meeting in the office...


Recent conversation between Otsego Farms owner Jim Webber and his head trainer:

JW: So tell me about our Derby possibilities.
HT: Best chance we've had in years...
JW: Helikaon and Rico?
HT: Yup.
JW: What are the chances they both get in?
HT: I'd say pretty good... as long as we schedule them right.
JW: Which means?
HT: Never head-to-head until May.
JW: Tell me about Helikaon.
HT: He's his fathers son.  Incredible speed/stamina combination.  He'll be a force at 10 furlongs.
JW: And Rico Suave?
HT: Totally different.  He's all about stamina.
JW: Can he make 16?
HT: Not now.  We need to strengthen his finishing kick a bit more.  He's getting stronger though.
JW: If they went head-to-head at the Kentucky Derby?
HT: Tough call.  If it's soft, Helikaon.  In the mud, Rico.
JW: On a fast track?
HT: You're putting me on the spot Boss...
JW: It's what I do.
HT: Depends on the trip...
JW: Clean.
HT: <laughsOK, I guess I'm not gonna be able to slip outta this one, huh?
JW: Not a chance.
HT: I'd go with Helikaon.  He's faster and has plenty of stamina.  
JW: Get them both to the Derby and I'll give you a $250,000 bonus.  If one of them wins, I'll make it $500,000...
HT: I'm on it.
JW: Thanks.  

JW: <to secretary> Celeste, what time is it in Australia right now?
C: It's a little after 11:00 AM
JW: See if you can get Fin on the phone, will ya?  <to himself as he heads back to his desk> I gotta see if he's thinking Ballotelli has a chance in Kentucky...

No comments: