Visitors

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

This year... I'm paying attention...

I haven't had a horse in the Kentucky Derby since Crossbones finished 3rd back in 2014.  Acquarella, who I own now, ran in 2016, but he was running under the colors of Establos Del Castillo at that time.

My lack of participation in this race has been attributable to two factors; a dearth of talent in most years and scheduling inattentiveness in others.  

As mentioned in a previous article, in 2019 I have at least two, and possibly up to four horses that may have the right stuff for this race.  Getting them in the right qualifiers, so they have the necessary points is the tricky part that I have screwed up in the past.

The four horses, Rico Suave, Helikaon, Infinity World, and Lapsus, need wins in 8F+ dirt races, so I don't want to run them head-to-head.  However, there are only so many appropriate races in the short time coming up to the Derby, making it conceivable that I may have to double up here and there.

Helikaon opened up the festivities by placing 3rd in the G3 Holy Bull Stakes last weekend.  He had the lead coming down the stretch, but incredibly, he eased up to effort level 2 and watched as two horses streamed past him at the finish.

Rico Suave and Lapsus are both scheduled to run this weekend.  We expect Rico to win his race, but have a little less confidence in Lapsus due to the fact that he is running against older racers, with Round Ron and Powder Keg being particularly concerning.  

Infinity World will wait another week due to rest concerns.

I've got my fingers crossed.

No comments: