Visitors

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tracking your success


Recently, Penny of Darkwood Stable mentioned that she keeps a financial record of her horses so she can manage them better. A very good idea, especially for new stables.

I must admit however that I do not keep detailed financial records. Once you get to the point where money is not a real problem, it just gets tedious to keep track of every dollar.

I do keep careful records on my entries, surfaces, distances, and results. Listed below, you will see a snippet of a spreadsheet that I maintain every year. It lists every racer that I have and breaks down their season, race-by-race.

The first column shows the date and surface of the race, color coded to depict dirt or grass.

The second column shows the distance in furlongs and is also color coded to show the race results. Green is a win, Yellow is a place, Red is a show. No color indicates an off-the-board finish.

I use the third column to indicate if there was an injury or soreness.




The entire spreadsheet, which I obviously did not publish here due to space constraints, shows all of my racers with all the associated and compiled racing statistics. Many of you no doubt keep similar records. For those of you that do not, it is extremely helpful, and fun!

2 comments:

Jim Webber said...

Sorry for that white band across the article. I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

I'm something of a neat freak when it comes to this blog and that is driving me crazy. If I can't fix it, I may have to just delete this article.

Amanda O'Brien said...

Its a great article - i use the calendar for race entries/results/financial and a separate "crib" sheet with the basic AR bits listed, ie surface pref, distance etc. So far its worked out well !!

Bet our bank accounts arent half so organised!