Visitors

Friday, March 02, 2007

Genuine affection for a virtual horse?


Is it possible?

These horses are not real flesh and blood. And yet they seem as real to me as the dog that is sitting by my feet right now.

Looking at these horses every day, thinking about their strengths and weaknesses, pondering the race schedule looking for the perfect race, it all adds up to a real attachment.

Whenever a horse comes into my stable and becomes part of my team, I mentally adopt them. However, just like it would be in real life, my affection for some horses is greater than for it is for others.

I poured my heart and soul in War Machine. He'll always be my favorite. I'll never be able to think of anything equine without him coming to mind.

Nightwing also enjoys special status. He was just so darn gutsy. Even though he was not the most physically gifted horse of his time, you couldn't help but love him. His amazing, seemingly impossible, comeback win over Dubai Gold in the Fountain of Youth Stakes in the 2004 season (Race 465. It's worth watching, trust me) is still my favorite race of all time.

Nova was my first homebred and as such, is also a favorite. Being a fast son-of-a-gun and as pretty as a picture doesn't hurt either. She'll stay on in perpetuity as a broodmare when her racing days are over.

Another who is weaving his way into my heart is Union Jack. Talented, courageous, and with a name that just clicks with me for some reason, I really like this guy.

Shattered Record was a very competitive filly who also became a favorite of mine. She has a very impressive physical presence that cannot be ignored.

I generally become pretty attached to all the horses that I own. But these five however.... they are special.

So, can you have genuine affection for a virtual horse?

Yep.

No comments: