Visitors

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Stable expansion in my future?


I love the new stabling rule that Laurie enacted this season. As you know, foals can now share the stall with their mothers for the first year.

It allowed me to breed 4 new foals this season and not be forced to sell off 4 horses to make room. Very convenient.

Until next season that is. If I want to stay at Stable Size 3, I'll have to divest myself of a few horses by next year. That is something that I do not want to do.

I've got to keep my studs War Machine and Nightwing. Plus Big Easy will be joining their ranks next year as well.

Shattered Record and Monsoon will both stay on as broodmares. Additionally, Shadowcat will probably stay, or at minimum be replaced by another broodmare.

So that makes 6 spots taken by breeding stock. RUNNING TOTAL = 6

I'll keep all of my current foals and yearlings. That is 7 more spots. RUNNING TOTAL = 13

I have a current total of 21 stalls. I find that to be a comfortable figure for me. Not too small, but small enough to handle without being overtaxing. So that means barring expansion, I can only have 8 other horses.

I suspect that King of the Sea will be about done after this season. This will also be the last season for Doomsday. Neither one of those fellows is quite good enough to have a spot as an Otsego stud, so they will probably go later in the year.

Nova and Union Jack will definitely stay on next year as either racers or breeding stock. RUNNING TOTAL = 15

Kid Flash has shown enough to earn a spot in the future as well. RUNNING TOTAL = 16

That leaves six horses competing for 5 spots. Of the remaining horses, I'd say that Firefighter and Dragon Force are the most likely to be sold off. Of course, that could change depending on how they perform this year. So, I'll keep an undetermined 5 of the remaining 6. RUNNING TOTAL = 21

That would do it. But, I may just make it easy on myself and finally take the plunge to Stable Size 4.


2 comments:

Amanda O'Brien said...

Go on take the plunge! See if you can catch up with me - i am struggling with 53 stalls!!

Jim Webber said...

53! That sounds like alot of work Amanda.