Visitors

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Idle thoughts about acquiring horses...


I bought the 3yo colt Chancellorsville the other day from Matt at Port Pirie. I sent Matt an email and because he was looking to open up some stall space, he humored me by letting him go for a nominal amount.

I've actually had him in my sights for awhile, primarily because he is an offspring of Nightwing. In fact, I think I spoke to the breeder, Bill at Stonewall, about acquiring him on at least one occasion when he was newly bred or perhaps when he was a yearling.

Chance has had a short and uneventful career so far, so when I reported the purchase here in the blog as a matter of normal procedure, I expected the purchase to go by unoticed.

Then, out of the blue, DJ of Under The Weeping Moon, who's opinion I value highly, commented that he thought Chancellorsville could "do some nice things this year".

Well, that sat very well with me, because I wholeheartedly agree.

Because he was lightly raced as a 2yo (Matt knows what he's doing), I figured he was the late maturing type. His breeding is impeccable (Bill knows what he's doing too). And, as a cherry on top, his PSR's have been improving from 48, to 82, to 86.

When I got the AR, I was pleased to see that it was extremely similar to Nightwing's. Eerily similar. That was the final validation I needed. He could have potential.

The point to this ramble?

Look at race results. Peruse stables via the studbook. Check past performances with Amanda or Darren's programs. If you see a horse that tickles your fancy, send an email and make an offer. Don't wait for someone else to gobble him up before he ever hits the Sales Page.

I heard Amanda mention that she might sell O How Funny once. I waited too long and before he ever went up for public auction, Don at Chiquita Lodge was the new owner. That was an opportunity missed.

There are horses that are diamonds in the rough, and they are in plentiful supply. Go find them. They may not all be superstars, but hey, someone's gotta win those Gr2 and Gr3 races, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Vero Jim, ci sono cavalli trascurati con grande potenziale, io ho 2 esempi, Rewind acquistato l'anno scorso con record 6 -0-0-0 speed rating max 40, ora è un ottimo miler ed è ancora immaturo!!, ma sopratutto Symbol comprato con record 9 0-0-1(solo 3 partenti!), speed rating max 71, adesso a corso 2 volte in 6,5f and 7f vincendo con speed 115 and 110 in track slow! battendo Blazing Risk and Patcher, dimostrando che in 8 or 9f possa ancora migliorare Ettore "Olmo Dorato"

Jim Webber said...

Quelli sono degli esempi molto buoni Ettore. Lei ha avuto sempre un occhio buono per il talento. La fortuna buona con Rewind (il 3 colloca questa settimana)! ed il Symbol, il mio amico.