Visitors

Friday, February 08, 2008

Otsego contemplates joining selling frenzy


There has been a rash of activity on the Sale Page in the past few days. Several stables have entered the fray with multiple offerings. Chiquita, Snowbank, Yeguada, Hutton's, Foxies, and Bally Doyle have all offered at least two horses.

Obviously, owners are beginning to position their stables stall-wise for next breeding season. Getting rid of the flotsam and jetsam early is very wise. It gets much harder to make space later in the season when everyone else is trying to accomplish the same thing.

Of course, not all of the offered horses are rejects. I see at least 5 that I would like to have...if I had the room myself.

Anyway, the crush of sales got me thinking that maybe I should jump on the bandwagon and try to clear some space. These are the horses that I would consider selling either now under certain circumstances, or otherwise at the end of the season.
  1. Shadowcat, broodmare. Made expendable by acquisition of Affirm Gal.
  2. Doomsday, racer. No room as stallion. Seems to get better with age. May race in 2011.
  3. King of the Sea, racer. I suspect he will be a nice sire. No room in Otsego however.
  4. Seven Memory, racer. New management may be necessary.
I'd really like to keep Doomsday as a sprinting sire, but selling Union Jack or Big Easy is the only way that would be possible. Neither horse is inviolate, but Big Easy would probably go before Jack.

Decisions will have to be made in the next few weeks, no doubt about that.

No comments: