Visitors

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Just rambling again....


The picture is of our dog Ozzie.

Right now, as I type, it's snowing in Southwestern Michigan.

Doomsday is a tough and gritty racer who has really won my respect over the past couple years. I was going to sell this fellow but I have reconsidered. He'll either race another season, or be retired from racing and sold as a stud to a qualified stable. He'll not race under any other colors but the Otsego blue and yellow.

Our washing machine broke about 4 weeks ago. Repair men have been to my house on 4 occasions and it's still not fixed. Issues with parts and general incompetence have got me fuming. Honestly, if you hear about a appliance repairman being strangled next week don't be surprised.

There are some very questionable entries in the Breeders Cup races, don'tcha think? These races are supposed to be for the best of the best, right?

My five 2yo's have raced in a total of 18 races this season. I simply cannot warm up to these 15+ fields so I have scratched them on many occasions. It's frustrating, but probably less frustrating than watching them languish in packed fields.

Confederation seems to have found his home at 11 furlongs. He has won his last two races, both at 11 furlongs, with PSR's of 109 and 107. His 2010 record is 8-3-2-1. This fellow is a true professional and will race again at age 5 in 2011.

I'm of the opinion that Stowaway is not good enough to try his luck at the BC Sprint. His record this year is 7-0-5-0. Obviously he is content in second place. He is very solid, but has never fared real well against top-notch competition. He can definitely beat at least half of the horses that are entered now though.

I'm currently reading "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. Pretty darn good so far. I recently finished the "The Camulod Chronicles", a 9-book series by Jack White, and was basking the afterglow of that excellent series, so I was inclined to be critical of my next read. However, Pillars has not disappointed.

Photoshopping the picture of In Spirit so she looked Golden Chestnut with a white face was tricky and I'm not sure I pulled it off. What d'ya think?

I abso-freeking-lutely love my fantasy baseball team this year. Why am I currently in last place?

6 comments:

DJ said...

Very questionable? You're being kind. Every week, there are entries that make me shake my head. So, this isn't anything new. It's just more noticeable in races of this stature. Hopefully, the ones that don't belong don't get in the way of a horse that actually does belong.

I'll tell you what I told my friend that called me the other day complaining about the Indians...there's still a LONG way to go.

Bill Miller said...

I like the way you manage your horses, Jim. careful and thoughtful, not afraid to try something new -- and you avoid the elite races if you have no shot.

In my head-to-head league I am crushing the opposition, but, as DJ says . . .

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
In spirit looks great, like a gold statue :), wish I could properly grasp Photo shop! One thing I love about buying new ones is I get to "find" them and make them a page on my website - though i'm falling way behind on that front :P.
Doomsday is a frightening sprinter on his day. I feel he could definately go on as a sire - btw have you decided re; union jack for this season?
Regards,
Zoe @ Elite.

Jim Webber said...

I know what you mean about the pictures Zoe. I'm also behind on about 4-5 horses.

Still up in the air on Jack. Probably won't decide until the end of the season. He looks pretty strong right now though, and that leans me towards racing in 2011.

Amanda O'Brien said...

With regard to the washing machine - why not simply get Mrs Jim to throw a wobbly at the insurance company and get a new one? Its always worked for me ;)

Ozzie looks a darling - have to post something equally sobbable on my blog this week before i jet off again.

as for the racing stuff - i say bring in a points system for the BC !!

Chelsey said...

I agree about the BC entrants... that is why I think we need some sort of system...