Visitors

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Random thoughts to get things rolling...


I saw 2yo Leaning Tower (Troll Tower x Monsoon) on the sale board for a scant $10K and quickly bought him. Steven of Golden Acres commented, "he is always 2nd or 3rd favorite on odds in his three runs but he hasn't shown me anything". True, but the sire is strong, I like, and own the dam Monsoon (who produced the late bloomer Sabretooth), and he is young and lightly raced. I'm optimistic.

I also picked up 4yo Ace Of Grace with the primary objective of using her as a broodmare. We spent a rather hefty $690K, but mares that can run 16 furlongs and put up 100+ PSRs while doing it are a rare commodity. She'll be retired at the end of the year and will match with Union Jack, another 16 furlong talent.

I've gotta trim my stable by about 4-6 horses by the end of the season to accommodate 11 new foals. Some of the horses that might have to go are Eminem, Petenwell, Kostya, Rich, Tombstone, Glymera, and Katana.

Mike Noble of Noble Farms sent me a picture proving that he was the 10,000th visitor to the Otsego Insider, so he will receive a complimentary spot with War Machine.

I am very excited to have breeding spots with two PF legends for the 2013 breeding season. Shattered Record will visit Jenny's My Gal and Nova will see Run Missy Run. Shattered Record has produced two nice runners so far (Shatterstar and Starfire) and has a War Machine colt (War Hammer) and a Union Jack filly (You Know My Name) on the way. We think JMG will be a perfect match. Nova has foals by War Machine, Dubai Gold, and Revenge, so who else but RMR can continue the trend of immortal studs?

Why can't PF owners rest their horses more? Why can't they? The current race card is littered with horses running on less than 15 days rest. It's a rookie mistake that we all make. Some of us learn from our mistakes. Some obviously don't.

Horses in my stable that excite me. In order of excitement:
  1. Sabretooth - He's got talent and it's starting to show.
  2. Huntress - Big Easy filly who won her first race. First time a 2yo has won it's first race for Otsego Farms since War Machine.
  3. A View to a Kill - Enormous talent who will quiet the naysayers. Will race as a 5yo for Otsego Farms, then back to Merry Olde England and Bally Doyle in a pre-arranged agreement. I'm lining up mares now to breed to him.

No comments: