Visitors

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Crossbones, Refractor both place 3rd in big races.

My racing results this week left me satisfied, and yet unsatisfied. 

A 3rd place finish in the Kentucky Derby is certainly quite an accomplishment for Crossbones.  Truth be told, I didn't think he would win it, especially on a relatively quick turnaround from his last race.  Now, the Preakness looms a scant 14 days down the road.  He may not be ready.  We'll see how the field shapes up before a decision is made.

Refractor finished 3rd in the Derby Italiano.  Also, a worthy feat.  However, I felt he had a tremendous chance of winning that race so again I was, in a sense, disappointed.

House of M had a decent showing, with a 5th in the Kentucky Oaks and Nebula finished 4th for the 3rd consecutive race.

Newly-acquired LaForce continues to be an enigma.  His AR says he's a sprinter but his stamina rating suggests he may be a stayer.  My plan was to try him in longer races.  His first attempt for Otsego Farms was at 12F and he didn't do well.  The troubling thing was watching him run a significant part of the last third of the race at a leisurely effort level 3.  He finished the race with a ton of excess stamina due to his indolent attitude.  He'll get an even longer distance next time out. 

On the bright side, my quasi-predictions on the Kentucky Derby were largely accurate, so at least I have that going for me, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice 3rd by Crossbones ... Id rest him after that run


Foxie