Visitors

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Crossbones wins Wood, punches ticket to Churchill Downs

It was six years ago when the last Otsego Farms horse ran in the Kentucky Derby.  Union Jack, primarily a turf runner, finished 7th in 2008.  This year however, will see a return of the blue and yellow silks at fabled Churchill Downs.

Crossbones, the feisty bay colt by Nightwing out of In Spirit will make a run for the roses after winning the Wood Memorial this weekend.

"Up until the moment he crossed the finish line in the Wood, I hadn't given a thought to the Kentucky Derby", Otsego owner Jim Webber stated as he sipped champagne in the clubhouse at Aqueduct.  "His last two efforts on dirt have been spectacular though and I think he deserves a shot at the Derby.  I'm a little concerned about the quick turnaround.  It's just 19 or 20 days of rest and I prefer a solid 30 if possible."

"I'll have to consult someone who's an expert on backing up his horses."  Then looking over both shoulders for one of his Personal Assistants, Webber yelled, "Somebody get LaFleur on the phone!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodluck in the KYD ... Just went and threw 500k on him to win ;) ... I think as long as he backs up well after last week he will be hard to beat .. I personally think the field is weak and i think it will be Crossbones , Pluto and Nemesis or Under My Feet who will win

Foxie