Visitors

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Shot by my own gun...


I have been one of many people who have been vocal over the years concerning inappropriate entries in big races.  In some races, systems have been instituted to prevent this problem.  Now I find myself affected by these very restrictions that I endorsed, and I'm understanding, but not happy.

I'd like to enter Jackhammer in the Kentucky Derby.  But, despite his 7-3-0-1 record and recent win of the GR1 Melbourne Cup, he does not qualify.  It's completely my own fault, of course.  I hadn't really thought of him as a Derby contender, so I didn't pay particular attention to his schedule in that regard, and hence he has zero points towards qualification.

Tragically, this is a race he could win.  He prefers hard dirt and has HRF numbers that are across-the-board identical to Derby favorite Olympia, except that Jackhammer has a better kick.

So, he will take a different road.  Perhaps entering the Derby Italiano against stable mate Le Chiffre.  I will say this though, if Olympia wins both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, he will have to earn the Triple Crown by beating Jackhammer in the Belmont.

No comments: