Visitors

Friday, April 24, 2015

Fascinating!


I was looking over my fillies the other day, trying to decide who might be a long-term keeper for breeding purposes.  Southern Charm and Baby Greyhound are both 17, so I need to start thinking about their eventual replacements.

The current filly who is really catching my eye is the 3yo Simply Charming.  She is a statuesque 17.2 hh and as pretty as a picture.  Plus, she has won 4 times in 7 career starts with her wins coming at 5 and 6 furlongs.  She has a little more juice than that though, with my trainers saying that she could make a mile any time now.  Her 92 speed and 69 stamina imply her future definitely does not reside at 6F.

What really fascinated me was the fact that she has Southern Charm as a paternal grandmother and War Machine as a maternal grandfather!  History has shown that a filly with the blood of those two flowing in her veins is almost a lock for a successful career.  Just look at War of the Lilies and Southern Belle... plus keep your eye on A Victor's Tribute, who I expect to explode as a 3yo this year.

I realize that my filly is not a direct result of War Machine x Southern Charm, but I am hoping that the special something that makes their fillies marvelous resides within Simply Charming.

2 comments:

Lmaris said...

That filly in the photo is actually one from my barn, and not one of Otsego's powerhouse fillies. You can tell because she has dumped her rider and is heading back to the barn rather than running around the track, ;-)

Jim Webber said...

haha... although I wouldn't call my fillies powerhouses, by any means!