Visitors

Friday, June 12, 2015

Incoming broodmares

Potential broodmares are very pricey these days.  

The Sweeney, a well-bred, but unheralded 3YO filly from Bally Doyle, was recently sold at auction for over $2,000,000.  I've looked at the horses numbers and they are very solid.  Solid enough that I considered bidding on her myself.  Only two things stopped me, the price got too high, and I will never own a horse whose name starts with "The".

For those of us who don't have the resources, or the desire to spend millions on mares, there is a great alternative.  At Endless Vista, there are a multitude of potential broodmares just waiting to be plucked up at the bargain basement price of $10,000.  Otsego Farms purchased two just yesterday.

Yes, you do have to dig a little because there are quite a few to slog through and many of them aren't worth the time or trouble, but you gotta kiss a few frogs to find that prince (or princess, in this case), right?

I picked up 6YO's Firefox and Smart Goer.  Firefox had just a decent racing career and Smart Goer was winless in six career starts, but I didn't buy them because of their records.  They came on board because they can both produce Classic or better offspring with good kick ratings.  Firefox looks like she would be a sweet match with War Machine, and Smart Goer will head to one of the distance boys.  That puts me back at 12 broodmares, exactly where I want to be.

I have had my eye on these two for weeks.  I didn't think they would be on anyone's radar, but I was nervous while I waited to make space to accommodate them.  The recent sale of four veteran horses to Elite give me the room to finally pull the trigger.

Anyway... don't forget Endless Vista.  It is a viable alternative versus spending the big dollars necessary for acquiring broodmares via auction.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Once again your spot on jim I have been trawling thru EV looking at breeders as I need quite a few more and have been surprised at some of the mares I seen in there and just purchased another 6 mares with acceptable race records and strong breeding I bought Port Angeles whose yearling son I just bought and looks a nice prospect Also Rare who has only 1 on the track a 2yr old who lois owns and it ran a solid 2nd on debut.... im currently at 68 Broodmares but will hopefully hit my target of 75 by the end of the season

Jim Webber said...

68? WOW.

Port Angeles is another that I considered. Nice pickup.