Visitors

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Oh hello! Nice to meet you. And you are.....?


I've got 16 two-year-olds who will be hitting the track this year and they are virtual strangers.  I was just checking them out and it's as if I'm looking at them for the first time.

When they were born, I poured over their AR's again and again, looking for strengths and weaknesses.  Slowly, the realization sunk in that it would be two seasons before they became relevant, so they slipped back into obscurity.

Now, on the cusp of a new racing season, they have sprung back to the forefront as a new source of possible excitement and potential disappointments.  Recently, I have spent a little time perusing those AR's, trying to re-familiarize myself with these horses... as I'm sure you are all doing.

The ones that jump out at me are:

Come What May - (Hepatic Flap x Nova)  I was expecting a sprinter/miler, but this colt appears to have more stamina.  However, he does have all the traits of a speed horse, so he may very well trend down to 8F if his stamina rating dips below 70.

Maleficent - (Union Jack x Ticket to Dance)  This filly will be a prototypical come-from-behind type, which is always a risky proposition.  However, she is born of two prodigious producers of Excellent stamina offspring, so I expect her to be a premier female 2-miler.

No Tears - (A Bus x Ace Of Grace)  His AR is eerily reminiscent of his sire's.  That alone is enough to generate optimism.  I expect him to be a dandy 12F horse, but perhaps just a bit under-powered to be elite at 16F.

No comments: