Visitors

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What's in a name?


As strange as it may sound, I've made purchase decisions based strictly on a horses name.

Heavens Hall was one example. Something about that name struck a chord with me. I still have a soft spot for that horse even though I don't own him anymore. He is now a stud over with Tyler at Zippy Chippy Stables.

Purchasing a horse is always a dicey proposition for me. Not only do I have to like his parentage, AR, and prospects....I have to like his name.

It's much easier when I breed a foal. Otsego Farms names all homebred foals after comic book Superheroes. By following that simple formula, I accomplish two things:
  1. I get strong, heroic names that are recognizable.
  2. I don't have to waste energy trying to be creative.
So, the next time you're looking at a race card and you say to yourself, "Wow, that is a bad-ass name on that horse", just slide your eyes over and you'll see the name Otsego Farms right next to it. Excelsior!