Visitors

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Praying for another Superstar


Once you get a taste of the big-time, it's hard to settle back into mediocrity.

Otsego Farms was the toast of the town when War Machine was running roughshod over the competition. But, that was two seasons ago.

I'm praying for another star.

We had great hopes for Doomsday. Hasn't panned out.

We thought Shattered Record might be the real deal. Not quite.

Now we're pinning our hopes on Nova and Union Jack.

Nova has been spectacular this year. Eight races with five wins. Every race with a speed score over 100. She hasn't hit the big money yet though. That may change in a few weeks when she tries her hand at the Breeders Cup Sprint.

Perhaps our best chance lies with Union Jack. He won five out of eight last season as a 2yo. He has also won a big money race this year, The Derby, pocketing a purse of $1,380,000. All indications point to a great second half this season.

Yup, that's the ticket. Union Jack will win the Eclipse Award for Champion Male Turf Horse next season as a 4yo. He's the next Otsego Farms Superstar. Amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, where do you get the inspiration for your names? Is there a common thread... I can't see one... or do you just choose the first and best idea that pops into your noodle?

Jim Webber said...

Hey Moif, how are you today?

The names come from comic book superheroes. My boys were into them big-time when they were younger and I became something of an authority on Marvel and DC comic books.

I was talking to my wife about you the other day and we were wondering how you pronounced your name.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Some how I knew there would be a connection!

=)

My online name is pronounced m-oyf. Its a nick name my GF and I use for each other (we're both moif)

My real name is Jan (Yan)

M. Schwartz said...

Wish I had your "bad luck" Jim... then perhaps my nags would be able to pay for their feed! :)

Well... of course not my beautiful mare who will (hopefully) keep us up and running this year.

Jim Webber said...

Yeah, you're right Matt. I probably shouldn't complain. I've been pretty lucky overall. :)