Visitors

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Young vs Old Horses


There was a time when the 2yo's were the apple of my eye.

No more. I have made a slow transition over the past several seasons. I vastly prefer older, established horses and have transformed my string in that direction.

With no guarantee of success, and a long wait while they mature, 2yo's have become much less attractive to me. Breeding or buying a foal, then waiting months or longer to race only to find that you have a non-competitive horse has become an increasingly bitter pill for me to swallow.

Concentrating on older horses is safer. You know exactly what you are getting when you purchase an older horse. There is a track record. You can watch his races and observe his tendencies over time. Plus, the fields are smaller.

This season, I have picked up Big Easy 5yo male, King of the Sea 4yo male, Sitio Estratigico 4yo male, and Candle of Life 3yo male. Their combined record for me this year is 8-1-2-3. Not earth shattering, but I'll take a 75% on-the-board percent anytime.

I know exactly what these horses are capable of. I know what race grade and distance gives me the best shot to earn purses. This is valuable information that may takes many fruitless races to discern with a fresh 2yo.

Obviously, it's not easy to purchase a older superstar. Nobody wants to give them up. But solid older horses with definite earnings potential are available.

I'll continue to breed foals strictly for my own needs. After all, fresh blood is always necessary for the continuance of the stable. But my direction, now and in the future, will be primarily towards older horses.

No comments: